Saturday, October 11, 2014

Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper



This is a great coming of age tale!

Avery Roe wants to take her place as the witch of Prince Island. At 16 she can feel the power coursing through her but she remains unable to use it. Taken from the grandmother who could ultimately teach her and trapped in the town with her mother who has cursed her there. Avery hates her life but it's not until the dream of her murder that the anxiousness explodes. Suddenly desperate to become the witch she begins looking outside of the box for any alternative.

That's where she meets Tane, a sailor from a far of island who dares to tell her that he can teach her magic. For a price of course. Avery, growing more frantic every day gives into his price to feed his revenge and to learn how to undo the curse.

But breaking one curse leads to a different one and ultimately Avery will be forced to choose between the one thing she has always aspired to be or the one thing she vowed to never let happen.

I don't want to say anything more because I don't think I could share anything else without giving away spoilers!

I originally grabbed this from Netgalley because of Prince Island, I kind of thought that maybe it was Prince Edward Island. It's not but I was blown away by the power of this author. I was so involved in this story and so attached to the characters that I really hope that she does more about the Roe Witches even though I know it will hurt.

She captured what's it like to hunger and claw for one dream which can lead to something else and how conflicted it can make you when you realize that the something else can be better for you. She handles the angsty relationship between Avery and her mother extraordinarily well and in the end even makes that heart breaking!

I am going to include a link to the free preview (I think it's the first three chapters or so) so that way you guys can check it out! It is definitely worth the money to grab this book and I can't wait to see what else this author comes up with!

Free Preview

No comments:

Post a Comment